Everyone has strengths and weaknesses. Some of us have a natural knack for numbers, words, or remembering obscure fun facts. It is no different for volunteer coordinators!
You could be a rock star at finding locations, or perhaps networking to recruit volunteers. The trick is to find your strengths and leverage what comes naturally for you. Take our quiz and see what are your top strengths!
- On a wintery Saturday night, where are you most likely to be?
- On a couch staying warm! I might invite a couple friends to watch our favorite show together.
- Planning my next vacation somewhere warm!
- Hosting a murder mystery night!
- Bundled up, trekking around downtown for a fun night out.
- Usually having dinner or coffee with a friend you haven’t spent much time with recently.
- You are in your element the most when:
- You are called on to do something you didn’t really want to do. The sense of duty brings out your best qualities.
- You have plenty of time to plan for whatever is being thrown at you.
- Everyone else is at a loss as to what to do. You can take charge and give directions
- Flying by the seat of your pants. Whatever happens you can figure it out.
- When there is too much to do in one day. You make sure the most important things get done.
- Your favorite outfit could be described as:
- Stylish and expressive
- Business casual
- Well-coordinated, most of your closet goes well together.
- Your favorite house hold chore is:
- Mowing the lawn
- Your biggest pet peeve is:
- When people say “pet peeve”.
- Dishes in the sink when the dish washer is dirty and not full.
- When people look at their phone when you are talking to them.
- When people say they can’t do something, but really mean they won’t.
- When people are late.
- What is your favorite part of coordinating an event?
- Working with all the volunteers and coordinating their shifts.
- All the planning to get your site up and running to make sure it is easy for volunteers to sign up.
- Having a list of what needs to be done and making sure someone is doing it.
- Making decisions and changing anything last minute to make sure your event is running smoothly.
- Working out a schedule before the event and accounting for all the multitasking you and your volunteers will need to do.
Mostly 1’s – Communication skills
You are a people-person that has a knack for getting your point across without rubbing anyone the wrong way! Though occasionally you have to make some people unhappy, they don’t resent you for it. You are able to listen and understand almost any view point. This can make it tricky to be decisive sometimes, but you always seem to make the right choice. If only it could be a little faster.
Mostly 2’s – Organization
Spread sheets, color coding, you are ready for some serious planning! You have thought of EVERYTHING, and you have back up plans for your back up plans. It’s not all about being prepared – although that’s most of it. It’s more about avoiding unnecessary work. If you get it all organized and right the first time, you’ll have less work next time, so you probably have some of that time management sauce too.
Mostly 3’s – Delegation
You have learned that you can’t be everywhere at once and have become a master and delegating. It takes a lot of trust in your volunteers to know they will handle each task well. It also takes a lot of security because you relinquish a lot of control. Good job for harnessing the ability to relax and not micromanage. Communication is also key, so you’ve probably got a bit of a knack for that as well.
Mostly 4’s – Adaptability
You are the kind of person one may describe as unflappable. Running low on water? Or pens? Or someone not show up for a shift? You have the answer and make any situation work. Need a sign? 10 minutes later you have Macgyvered something no one else would have thought of.
Mostly 5’s – Time management
Nothing bothers you more than wasted time. That doesn’t mean you don’t take a break. It just means when you are working on something, you are working hard and efficiently. Once you set yourself to a task you will finish it in one go, or nearly.